Friday, 21 March 2014

5.How did you attract/address your audience?


My chosen audience age range is from around 16-24 year olds, and so it is a range of younger teenagers too older young adults of both genders. I aimed too achieve be the target markets appeal by involving a range of different colours and music artists throughout my magazine and even though my chosen artists is a women, the way in which she is presented would speak to both sex's. Yet, I did not want my model too be seen through the theory of the 'male gaze' within media, and therefore ensured that she was not highly provocatively dressed and too suggestive to my audience. The use of the mono-chrome colour pallet on the front cover of my magazine creates a sophisticated, simple yet enticing front cover for both genders and all ages due to the formal appeal it connotes. Then use of the monochrome and dark/pastel colours throughout my contents page and double page spread, suggest that the magazine isn't 'girly' due to the 'pop' aspect to it, yet isn't too 'gangsta' due to the r&b side, and therefore suits my audience. 

The very first initial section of the magazine that my reader/audience would see would be the masthead of the magazine. This is due too the magazine being placed on a shelf with hundreds of others, just showing the top few centimetres, and so I needed to make my masthead clear and concise to notice. I decided too use a bold don't in order to make my lettering stand out more and appear more eye-catching, yet I decided too slightly fade my lettering into the main image- creating a more unique feel too my title. The use of  the spaced out letting allowed my 3 letters too fill the whole top of the cover, and creating a 'brand recognition' for my reader due to the bold, spaced lettering that they would notice on the shelves. 

The model I incorporated onto my design is dressed in the current fashion styles that would appeal to my target audience. The simple black blazer is currently in fashion at the moment, and the social group 'stylets' that I connect my audience too are into the latest fashion and so would find the cover relatable. The use of the non-clothing aspect underneath appeals too the influential images of the 'interview' magazine cover involving just a black blazer with a black and white colour pallet. Also, the involvement of a large beige due coat and red lipstick connoted the current autumn fashion of due coats, which again, relates to my audience and the 'fashion' element of my magazine. I found that the use of the simple 'moody' facial expression on the front cover conveys the professionalism of my product following the conjunctions of Billboard and Vogue magazine, yet slight movements and body isolation changes throughout the other images keep my shots simple yet effective. 

On my contents page, I decided too use an image that clearly showed my models attire and colour of the image yet the facial expression of a purposeful gaze. The effect of the image makes the reader drawn to the image due to the model not looking directly at the reader and drifting off, leaving them enticed by their gaze. The use of the clear and concise subheadings, columns and boxes allow the reader too fully understand the content of the magazine and read the simple yet effective page. The use of the different coloured boxes engages the reader more by making the page more unique rather than a dull contents, yet the colours I used still related back to my colour pallet of greys, whites and blacks but the purple added a twist onto the idea by making the contents page stand out more and appear less dull. 

When writing my double page spread, I had to ensure that my grammar and punctuation was accurate and correct to ensure a professional and realistic article. Errors can be noticeable when thoroughly reading through an article, which is was my audience would be doing, and so grammatical errors can lead too lack of interest- causing my magazine to downfall. However,'I had too find the balance between formality and colloquial language for my reader because if my choice of lexis was too formal (such as a vast use of polysyllabic lexis), my reader wouldn't understand- causing a lack of interest in the article and a formal tone not suiting my genre as well. Yet, too much of a colloquial tone would make my article appear cheap and overly simple. So, by using an interview format, I could allow my article too portray the use of colloquial language the right Balance by making it appear more realistic and spontaneous yet still getting the facts and points across of the artists simply and directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment