Throughout the planning stage of my magazine idea, I took inspiration from various other music magazines such as Q, NME, Billboard and I-D. I chose too look at the graphological and aesthetic features of the product in order too be able too create a magazine that follow the style of a well known magazine. I-D and Billboard magazine appealed too me the most for the designing and layout of my front cover, especially the Miley Cyrus 2013 issue in which the cover appears very plain and simple yet works perfectly with the main image and colour theme, and so I intended to use this issue as inspiration for my own by creating something unique, simple and effective.Therefore, i chose too use the masthead of my magazine name and then incorporate a strap line 'Back to `black' in order too play on the colour theme of the front cover, just like on Billboard with how the strap line 'Miley 2.0' conveying that its the new her. Q magazine was an especially large inspiration for me due to my contents page being done in the layout of their July 2011 edition featuring Adele on the cover and contents. The way in which the contents page was laid out inspired me too follow the same conventions of how it appeared graphologically on the page, due to the amount of text used too describe what was inside the issue yet the simplicity of the layout made it not appear as busy as it seems. I liked the idea of the use of various colour schemes that all interlinked throughout and so I incorporated my own in order to make it more suitable for my genre and piece. Q uses a red, white, black and grey colour scheme an so on my contents I chose too use white, purple, black and grey in order to suit my colour scheme as well. Throughout my double page spread, I was influenced by Q magazines Lady Gaga issue in which the main image covered the whole left side of the page and the first letter of the artists name in an overly large font in order too blend into the text on the right hand side. I found that this idea made my piece appear more sophisticated due to the layout of the double page spread and followed the conventions of a successful, well known music magazine.
Throughout my photographers research, Michael Thompson had a huge impact on the way that I captured my images. He focus' mainly on the face and how he captures the shadows highlighting the facial features in blah and white, and for my magazine, I wanted a black and white theme for my front cover and so I believed that Thompson would be my influence. With my model, I chose too focus on her facial expressions in order too capture her emotions that associate with my theme that I am aiming too convey. Looking at his work, It made me plan and think about what I would want my model too wear, have her make-up like and too set up the lighting and get it to work well in his style. This took a lot of planning in order too gain images that I was happy with and foreshowed his framework and conventions.
Even though I challenged the conventions of a busy magazine cover, I still took into consideration the layout of a magazine itself by having the masthead at the largest piece of text and a strap line in order too portray to the audience what is involved within the issue. My choice of magazine title 'PNB' (abreviated from 'pop and r&b) was a unique and interesting choice for my magazine as it fully demonstrates the genre of my magazine within the title. I got inspiration for my title through the NME (New Musical Express) because I liked the idea of having a title that stood for something yet foreshadows the genre.
Once I had taken images too work with for the contents of my piece, I had took decide on how too lay them out. At first, I original wanted images of another model that I could incorporate into my contents page somewhere in order too not make the whole magazine seem too much about my chosen artist, but after feedback form my peers I realised that it would not work as effectively as I hoped. By following the conventions of Q magazine for my contents page, I realised that I still had a lot of space left at the bottom too fill after I placed my image on and text. And so, I decided to do my own 'Top 20 songs' in order too make my magazine appear more realistic and interactive.
No comments:
Post a Comment